Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Early Reader Books for Older Students



Preview for In the Ocean Early Reader

When I started teaching, I had big dreams of having deep conversations about chapter books like Shiloh, Tuck Everlasting, and The Island of the Blue Dolphin.  I'm lucky enough to have some book clubs and those dreamed of conversations.  My favorite book being Number the Stars, btw.

What I didn't dream about and wasn't prepared for was the number of students who could not read at grade level.  They didn't talk about that in undergrad classes!

This year, I had 4 students who couldn't pass BAS Level A in August. That's the most ever in one class. I struggled to find books that were low level but not insulting to the age of my students.

Finally, I decided on rainy days this summer, I would create my own series of nonfiction early readers with real photographs that would be interesting and more importantly, not insulting, to the nine and ten year old who struggle to read even the most basic sight words.

I finished the first 5 early readers ($1.25 each) and they are available on my TpT page.  For a limited time, you can get all 5 books here for just $4.50 -- I would love some feedback, too.

:) Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment