Saturday, May 19, 2018

Teaching Theme

Now that you know a little bit about me, let's get started with the "real" stuff.  I love teaching reading, especially realistic fiction.  Everytime I read a new book it becomes MY FAVORITE.  I am sure that some kid rolls their eyes every time I say, "I'm going to share my favorite book with you today!"  I imagine that one kid, you know the one, mumbling, "She always says that!"

One of my favorite books to use for theme is Maribeth Boelt's Those Shoes.  In short, Those Shoes is about a young boy named Jeremy and his quest to obtain the current "in" shoes, the black ones with the white stripes.  His grandma makes it quickly known to Jeremy that those shoes are NOT in the budget.  That's where the story begins...

As an adult, I love responsible, practical Grandma and how she lets Jeremy learn a valuable lesson while showing genuine care.  I read somewhere that the theme can often be found in the advice of wise elders.  This book is perfect for using that tip because honestly, theme isn't the easiest of skills for kids to master.

I've created a resource to support teaching theme or just support using this picture book in your classroom.  It comes with about a week's worth of reading lessons (want/need sort, vocabulary, general comprehension, determining theme, and journal topics).   See, no need to cry!  Denise
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Teaching-Theme-and-More-with-Those-Shoes-3821102

No comments:

Post a Comment