Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Getting the Most Out of Turn and Talk


Well, it seems like most of us are finally on Summer Break and I've been enjoying my time off (and I hope you are, too!).  As I reflect on this school year, I think there were some highs and lows, as with any year.  But, I feel that Turn and Talk time in my class was quite successful and I'd like to share why.


Background:  Being a literacy coach in the past, I'd seen many turn and talks become idle chit-chat that either went on too long or just didn't seem to be strategic and purposeful, just a time filler  and on-the-fly!  

I didn't want to fall into the same trap, so I created purposeful practice with expectations and feedback and the effects last all year long. So, how do I do it?

The Best Advice I Can Give:
Turn and Talk is a scaffolding strategy.  So, when planning your lessons, you must PLAN for when you will have students talk, PLAN what you expect them to talk about AND have taught and practiced what that looks and sounds like.

If you want to learn more, click on the slide for all the tools you need to have successful (and meaninful) Turn and Talks in your classroom.
 Turn and Talk
  Denise
Getting the Most Out of Turn and Talks

No comments:

Post a Comment